Today I am sharing with you my favorite AIP recipe with ground beef, something that I cook very often because it’s a re-visitation of the typical Italian recipe to make Sugo or Ragù. If you are familiar with Italian cuisine, you might know that this delicious meat sauce is what we use to season delicacies such as Pasta Bolognese and Lasagna, dishes that you can find in their AIP version in my “AIP Italian Cookbook”.
Of course, traditional Italian Ragù differs a little from this AIP recipe with ground beef that I am sharing with you in this article, since some of the ingredients required to make that traditional meat sauce are supposed to be avoided during the elimination phase of the Autoimmune Protocol (download your printable AIP Food Lists here).
I wanted to create an AIP recipe with ground beef that could be enjoyed by everyone: those following paleo principles, those who are on a nightshade free diet and, of course, all of those who are dairy and gluten free.
This recipe leaves out tomato sauce (but if you want to add some tomato free Tomato Sauce 20 minutes before it’s done cooking you can make this ground beef recipe even more delicious), as well as other ingredients like sausage, white wine and some of the spices that are not allowed on the AIP.
And another good thing about this recipe is that is absolutely fail-proof, meaning that you can’t possibly mess it up. Italians say that the secret to a great Ragù lays in slow cooking it, so that all the ingredients reduce and the flavors intensify to the maximum.
Also, some crucial strategies to making a tasty ground beef recipe are: adding fresh bay leaves to the Ragù and taking a couple of minutes to make a soffritto (finely mincing the onion and letting it caramelize in olive oil to create the most flavorful base).
Just like Italian Ragù, this AIP recipe with ground beef freezes very well and you can easily portion it in Ziplock bags and take one for and easy and nutritious meal whenever you don’t have time to cook!
Fail-Proof, AIP Recipe with Ground Beef (Paleo, GF, DF)
1 or 2 hr
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 White Onion
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3 Large Carrots
- 3 Stalks of Celery
- 2 Zucchini
- 700 gr Grass Fed Ground Beef
- 2 cups of Bone Broth
- 1 tsp Himalayan Salt
- 1 tbsp Dried Italian Herbs
- Shred all the vegetables (except for the onion) in a food processor (if you don’t have one, you can use a blender or do it manually with a grater) and set aside.
- Heat up the olive oil in a large pan, thinly chop the onion and throw it in the pan to make a soffritto, letting the onion sizzle until soft.
- Add in the shredded vegetables, together with one cup of bone broth and the 2 Bay leaves and let cook for 20 minutes with the lid on.
- Add in the ground beef, mix well and add more broth as needed, together with salt and dried herbs.
- Cook with the lid on, on low heat for 1 hour and 40 minutes. Remove the Bay leaves and enjoy!
NOTE: For a quicker version of this AIP recipe with ground beef, add less broth and cook on higher heat for 30 minutes after you add in the beef.
Did you like this AIP recipe with ground beef? Let me know in a comment below and don’t forget to share with your friends and family on your Facebook and Pinterest!
I created a pinnable infographic that you can find at the bottom of this post to make it easier for you to find when you are ready to give it a try.
Lots of love from Italy!!!