I decided to call this Dairy Free Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream because, if I used the title I had in mind, which is what I what I was craving when I created this recipe, nobody would have understood what I was I talking about.
Does the word “Stracciatella” say anything to you?
It might if you have been to Italy… where you definitely noticed that in every gelato store’s display there is always a flavor called “stracciatella”. It’s usually a vanilla or mint based gelato, scattered with cracked pieces of chocolate.
Why does it have that name? In Italian, the colloquial term “stracciare” means “to drizzle”, which is what every gelato maker does with melted chocolate when the gelato base is churned… And it’s right when the melted chocolate hardens, cracks and turns into “chocolate chips, that the gelato becomes “stracciatella”!
Anyways, my husband and I were really craving the real thing one night, so I came up with the recipe for a dairy free mint chocolate chip ice cream which is a much healthier version of the original, but, if possible, even more indulgent as I paired it with some delicious double chocolate paleo cookies that are free from dairy, gluten and grains.
Let’s be honest, there’s nothing better that mixing cookies and ice-cream (Cookies ‘n Cream fans, I am talking to you!) and even if it takes a little extra time to bake them, it’s totally worth it!!
Don’t worry though. If you are short on time and still in the mood for some easy dairy free mint chocolate chip ice cream, you can skip the double chocolate cookies and just quickly whip up some healthy gelato!!
But before we get into that, I need to tell you what’s the secret ingredient of this ice cream: banana!! Yes, ripe frozen bananas, when blended up to perfection, make for the perfect ice cream base, and in the little guide below, I will share with you how to turn bananas into a delicious dairy free mint chocolate chip ice cream!
The Best Way To Prepare Bananas for Banana Ice Cream
- Make sure your bananas are ripe and soft. This way they’ll come out perfectly sweet.
- Peel the bananas and cut them into about 10 coins.
- Transfer the banana pieces in a Ziplock bag. I usually put 3 bananas per bag as that is the perfect quantity to make banana ice cream for 2 people.
- Dispose your Ziplock bag horizontally in the freezer so that the banana pieces are well spaced out and it’s easier to separate them once frozen.
- Freeze your banana pieces for at least 4 hours or ideally overnight.
Now that you know how to prepare your bananas, let’s dive into the recipe for this dairy free mint chocolate chip ice cream (or Mint Stracciatella as I like to call it 😉 which is completely Paleo and can be enjoyed by those on the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) too simply by switching regular chocolate for AIP Carob Chocolate!!
And if you are on the AIP, but have already reintroduced cacao and yolks successfully, you don’t even need to modify this recipe!! (See my AIP reintroduction Guide HERE).
Mint Chip Ice Cream with Double Chocolate Cookies (GF, DF, Paleo)
For the Dairy Free Mint Chocolate Chip Gelato:
- 3 Bananas (frozen as instructed in the guide above)
- 10 fresh Mint Leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp Organic Mint Extract
- 10 gr 95% Dark Chocolate
For the Double Chocolate Paleo Cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F on convection bake.
- Sift all the flowers in a bowl, mix well and add the other dry ingredients.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ones and knead well with your hands. You should get a very smooth, pliable dough.
- Take a large piece of parchment paper and roll down the dough with a rolling pin until 1/4 of an inch thick.
- Shape your grain free Chocolate Cookies with a circular cookie cutter and poke each one twice in the middle with a fork.
- Bake for 15 minutes then turn off the oven and let them cool down inside for 15 more minutes so they reach the perfect friable, crispy texture.
- In the meantime, prepare the dairy free mint chocolate chip ice cream by adding all ingredients (except for the dark chocolate) in a high speed blender food processor and blending until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the gelato in a bowl, melt the chocolate in a small sauce pan and drizzle it quickly over the ice cream bowl. As soon as the chocolate solidifies, break it down with a spoon and mix it in the gelato.
- Store the gelato in the freezer while the cookies cool down completely, drizzle them with more melted dark chocolate and, when cool, add them to your ice cream bowls and enjoy!!
I hope you enjoyed making this dairy free mint chocolate chip ice cream and I can’t wait to hear your feedback!! As, always don’t forget to share this article with your loved ones on Facebook and Pinterest and I subscribe to my weekly newsletter so that you can get in touch with me directly!!
Lots of love!