Finally, I managed (with the help of my Mamma) to make a gluten free pumpkin roll that actually hold together, doesn’t crumble apart and start breaking as you try to roll it and MOST importantly, that is super delicious!!
In Italy, we use the name “Pan di Spagna” (Spanish bread) to define a sponge cake, and while I am not sure why bread or Spain have anything to do with sponge cake, one thing I can tell you for sure: IT’S CRAZY HARD to make this gluten free!!
After quite a few attempts at making a good sponge cake using different gluten free flours, we figured out the perfect baking mix to recreate this glorious dessert! And I am pretty sure that what really made a difference this time is the addition of potato starch.
As you might now, I mostly try to avoid nightshade vegetables (white potatoes, bell peppers, tomatoes and eggplants) as they used to give me trouble. Lately though, I tried to rintroduce potatoes and potato starch in moderation and I do good with it. And I am glad I do because it’s great for baking!!
For those of you who can’t tolerate potato products, you can try to replace it in this gluten free pumpkin roll with some sweet potato starch instead.
What I love about this gluten free pumpkin cake is that it’s really versatile, and while it could be a perfect Thanksgiving dessert, it can also be baked for other occasions, even summery ones, as it served chilled!
If you like gluten free pumpkin desserts, you need also try:
Dairy & Gluten Free Pumpkin Roll
- 4 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 3 + ¼ tbsp Coconut Sugar
- ¼ cup Rice Flour
- ¼ cup Potato starch
- ¼ cup Corn starch
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp Pumpkin puree
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C)
- Whisk the eggs with honey and coconut sugar.
- Sieve the flours and gently mix in the pumpkin puree and spices.
- Fold in the egg mixture, mix gently and transfer into a baking pan (25 cm x 36 cm / 9.8" x 14.1") covered with parchment paper
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown. Put the base on a sheet of greased and squeezed parchment paper, roll it up and let it cool completely
- Unroll the pumpkin sponge cake, spread it with your filling of choice (I used apricot jam and Greek style dairy free yogurt)
- Roll up the cake again, wrap it in a sheet of parchment paper, close the ends and put the cake in the fridge for at least a couple of hours before serving it
- Remove the parchment paper wrap, sieve some cacao powder on top, cut into slices and serve
If you loved this gluten free pumpkin roll, make sure to share it on your Facebook and save it on your Pinterest. And don’t forget to share a photo with me on Instagram! and subscribe to my weekly newsletter so that you never miss a post!!
Lots of love from Italy and I will catch you at the next recipe!
Get your FREE
10 Step Tutorial to
Boost your Creativity
Sign up to the newsletter and get it
delivered to your mailbox
Don’t like it? unsub in a click!
Leave a Reply