Galette is a French word that designates a rustic tart with a warm fresh fruit filling. And this grain free paleo apple galette is the perfect gluten free and gut friendly version of the original!
As always, since the goal of this blog is to provide delicious recipes to those with food allergies or who are following a special diet, this paleo galette is completely free from gluten, dairy and nuts and it’s suitable for those who are following the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) as well.
This recipe is particularly good for all those who don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen or are intimidated by a perfectly shaped pie dough.
In fact, to prepare this paleo apple galette you don’t even need a pie plate! All you need is an (imperfect) piece of flat dough and a sheet of parchment paper. Voila! You are ready to bake 🙂
Because of the naturally sweet grain free flours that I used to bake the pastry, this paleo galette is also absolutely free from refined sugar!! Check out the ingredient list: not even honey nor maple syrup in there!
All the sweetness comes from the delicious taste of tigernut (a nut-free flour that comes from a tiny African tuber), coconut flour and a touch of coconut water.
As per the fruit filling, I used apple and peach, but almost any fruit works well (of course avoid those fruits that get mushy or watery while baking, like banana, kiwi, pineapple, etc).
My only recommendation is that, if you decide to opt for frozen fruit, you should let it thaw or microwave it for a minute so that it loses the excessive water without making your paleo galette crust soggy.
Whether you a following a paleo diet, are on the AIP or simply want to avoid gluten and dairy, this recipe is what you need to never feel deprived and enjoy food without any of the nasty side effects we get from eating junk!
Paleo Apple Galette (Grain Free & AIP)
For the Pastry:
- 80 gr Tigernut Flour
- 60 gr Arrowroot Flour
- 20 gr Coconut Flour
- ½ tsp Ginger Powder
- *10 gr Maca Powder (*avoid if on the AIP. Maca is immune stimulating; I asked Eileen from Phoenix Helix and she told me she would recommend removing it from AIP-friendly recipes, that should always err on the safe side).
- 60 gr Coconut Milk
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 40 gr Coconut Oil, melted
- 30 gr Coconut Water
For the Filling:
- ½ Peach, sliced (if out of season, reheat slices of frozen peach until soft)
- 1/3 Apple, sliced
- ¼ tsp ground Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Combine all the dry ingredient together in a bowl, mix well with a fork and add in the remaining wet ingredients.
- Knead well with your hands until you have a nice ball of dough.
- Roll out the dough for your paleo galette between two sheets of parchment paper until about ¼” thick.
- Place the fruit filling in the center of your dough (try to place the slices in a circular shape like you see in the photos) and carefully fold the pastry sides up.
- Sprinkle the top of your paleo apple galette with cinnamon and bake for about 40-45 minutes or until the crust is crispy and golden.
- Remove the paleo apple galette from the oven and let it cool before slicing.
I am sure the folks who will enjoy this paleo galette with you won’t even notice it’s free from allergens and sugar, and they’ll just ask for a second slice!!
Please let me know in a comment below and don’t forget to share this recipe on your Facebook and Pinterest!!
A big kiss to you all!! Ambra