Summer is about to come to en end, and we all start to crave cozy, comfort food, especially in the morning, when it’s chilly outside. The grain free paleo oatmeal porridge recipe I am sharing today is perfect for the days you want to treat yourself to something warm and creamy while still eating something very nutritious!
This paleo oatmeal is, of course, dairy and gluten free, and perfectly suitable for all those who are on the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) and have already reintroduced almonds (read more about reintroducing foods on the AIP here). Alternatively, if you need to keep this recipe completely nut free, you can replace the almond butter with the recipe for my tigernut butter.
I have a similar grain free paleo oatmeal porridge in the breakfast section of my “Paleo AIP Italian Cookbook”, and it’s one of my reader’s favorites! Of course, together with the recipes for AIP Cannoli, AIP Tiramisu, AIP Panna Cotta and all the other delicious Italian desserts ;)… But since that one is designed to be enjoyed with winter fruit, I wanted to create one that had more of a tropical twist, perfect for this time of the year!
Why I love this Grain Free Paleo Oatmeal Porridge:
Here’s three reasons why I am fond of the recipe for my Grain Free Paleo Oatmeal Porridge:
- It has a super creamy and velvety texture (just like regular oatmeal) thanks to the addition of collagen, which adds a boost of nutrition and amino acids to your breakfast.
- It can work as a base for lots of other grain free porridge recipes. Simply change the toppings and swap the grated apple for a pear and you have a great winter recipe instead!
- It tastes just like a regular oatmeal porridge! No kidding. I challenge you to serve this to someone who doesn’t know the oats were replaced with grated yellow squash. They will never suspect there’s any difference!
Grain Free Paleo Oatmeal Porridge (GF, DF, *AIP)
1 or 2
For the Porridge:
- 2 Yellow Squash
- ½ Golden Delicious Apple
- 1 tbsp Collagen
- 3 tbsp Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp Maca Powder
- ¼ tsp ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- *½ tsp Honey (*optional)
For the Toppings:
- Peel the squash, cut them in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Cut the apple in half and remove the core.
- Grate the squash and apple halves transfer in a medium size sauce pan.
- Add in the collagen, coconut milk, maca powder, cinnamon, vanilla and honey if you like, and mix well.
- When the mixture is well combined, turn on the stove and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes, mixing occasionally.
- Transfer your porridge in a bowl (make sure to remove any excess liquid with a spoon).
- Garnish your porridge with all the toppings and enjoy lukewarm!
Please, let me know how you liked this grain free paleo oatmeal porridge in a comment below! Make sure to share this recipe with your friends on Facebook, save it on your favorite Pinterest board and subscribe to my weekly newsletter so that you never miss a post!!
Lots of love and ciao!