If you are familiar with this blog, you know I have quite a few Thai food recipes in here, and a grain free pineapple fried rice, that was also paleo and compliant to the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP), seemed like the perfect addition to complete this collection!
As you know, rice is not allowed during the elimination phase of the AIP (get your complete AIP Food List here), and even when you reintroduce it, you need to be aware that there are 5 circumstances in which rice is not gluten free, so make sure you read my post about it!
Thailand might be one of my favorite countries in the world. I’ve been there five times and I am always looking forward to going back.
Not only is the food extremely delicious, the people are incredibly nice and the aura of the place simply emanates calmness and spirituality.
And did I mention the gorgeous tropical landscape and the crystal clear water of the Andaman Sea?!
Ah, I am starting to dream about it already! …But let’s stick to food for now.
If Mango Sticky Rice is one of my favorite Thai desserts (check out my sugar free version of the original here), Pineapple Fried Rice is by far one of the rice based dishes I order the most… right after I start my meals with a Tom Kha Gai soup (which I recreated in its allergy free version with the head Thai chef at the Intercontinental Ko Samui).
I created a raw pineapple fried rice a while ago to give a healthy spin to this classic, but I wanted go even further and make a cooked grain free version that was also paleo and AIP compliant, so that, no matter what food allergy or sensitivity you might have, you should be able to please your taste buds with a delectable and gorgeous looking Thai dish.
If you check the ingredient list, you can see how this recipe is free from grains, nuts, eggs, dairy and nightshades, and it can be enjoyed by pretty much anybody without compromising on taste!
Think about simmering cauliflower rice in a sauce made of tamarind paste, coconut aminos, ginger, red onion and coconut… I can’t even tell you how much flavor each grain of “rice” absorbs.
Grain Free Pineapple Fried Rice (GF, Paleo, AIP)
- Cut the pineapple in 1/2, remove the pulp and set aside 150 gr of the fruit that you’ll chop and cook together with the “rice”.
- Heat up the coconut oil in a pan, toss in the chopped onion, cauliflower, pineapple, rice and shrimp.
- Mix well and add in tamarind, coconut aminos, the 70 gr of coconut milk and lastly the spices. Mix again and let it cook on medium heat with the cover on.
- In the meantime, dab the prawns with coconut oil and cook them in a pan or in the oven until ready.
- When the “rice” starts to absorb the liquid, add in 90 more gr of coconut milk and the water, mix and keep on cooking until the “rice” is soft and all the sauce has been absorbed. The whole process should take from 20 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer the grain free pineapple fried rice inside of your pineapple halves, top it with the prawns and diced avocado and enjoy!!
Don’t you guys agree with me that this dish is the perfect entree to impress your guests (or your love?!). It’s so beautiful!! And I can’t wait to see your recreations of this grain free pineapple fried rice, so don’t forget to snap a photo and tag me on social media!
And don’t forget to scroll to the bottom of the page and pin the pinnable infographic to your Pinterest boards so that you can always remember where the recipe is!! Ambra