Sometimes, when I develop healthy recipes, it takes me a few attempts to get it right, and usually texture is the biggest challenge. Luckily, the day I baked these Grain & Gluten Free Chocolate Coffee Cookies, I nailed it the first time time!
And when my little brother came over at my house (…and you need to know he’s the biggest processed cookie eater on Planet Earth), he could’t stop munching on these! Just another prove that my experiment came out well! 😉
While being free from gluten, dairy and grain, these cookies cannot be labeled as paleo, due to chickpea flour. And if you are struggling with all the current free-from labels, remember: Paleo is always dairy and grain free but it also excludes legumes, AIP is always paleo but in a more restricted version, that also excluded nuts and seeds (from spices to coffee and chocolate), as well as nightshades, and Grain Free is a stricter gluten free diet (but not as strict as Paleo) that avoids not only grains containing gluten but all grains in general.
According to what ingredients upset you, you can find your niche and stay there for a while, seeing if it’s of any relief… And since having our life controlled by food intolerances and allergies is not really fun, let’s at least find a way to make the experience enjoyable and get the most out of what we CAN eat!
One more thing I love about these gluten free Chocolate Coffee Cookies is the way they are decorated with a colorful sugar free “sugar glaze” that’s super easy to make (I even made a quick instructional video tu guide you through).
Grain & Gluten Free Chocolate Coffee Cookies
For the Chocolate Coffee Cookies
- 80 gr Cassava Flour
- 50 gr Sweet Potato Starch
- 50 gr Chickpea Flour (replace with Coconut Flour to make this Paleo)
- 20 gr Cacao
- 20 gr Carob Powder
- 1/4 tsp gr Espresso Coffee Powder
- 30 gr Erythritol
- 1/2 tsp Green Stevia
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Bean Powder (replaceable with Vanilla Extract)
- 85 gr Coconut Milk (for the perfect thickness I recommend Arroy D)
- 65 gr Coconut Oil (melted)
- 2 free range Yolks
For the Matcha Glaze:
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp Erythritol
- 1/4 tsp Green Tea Matcha
For the Coconut Chocolate Glaze:
- 1/2 tsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Coconut Flakes
- 20 gr Dark Chocolate
- 20 edible Violets or other edible Flowers of your choice (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F on convection bake.
- Sift all the flowers in a bowl, mix well and add the other dry ingredients.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ones and knead well with your hands. You should get a very smooth, pliable dough.
- Take a large piece of parchment paper and roll down the dough with a rolling pin until 1/4 of an inch thick.
- Shape your grain free Chocolate Coffee Cookies with a circular cookie cutter and poke each one twice in the middle with a fork.
- Bake for 15 minutes then turn off the oven and let them cool down inside for 15 more minutes so they reach the perfect friable, crispy texture.
- To prepare the matcha glaze, melt the coconut oil on very low heat, add in the coconut milk and matcha and mix well. Lastly, add in the erythritol and keep on mixing until it starts to boil and gets foamy. Take it off the stove, mix again until it goes back to being liquid and drizzle it over 1/2 of the cookies (if it starts to solidify, heat it up over the stove for a minute and finish garnishing.
- To decorate the second half of the cookies, dip your finger in the honey and spread a very thin layer of it over the cookies. Pour the coconut flakes in a small plate and dip the cookies in on the honeyed side.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a small saucepan over very low heat. I usually only leave the heat on the stove for a minute and then let it finish melting in the hot pan while mixing constantly.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the remaining cookies, scatter some edible flowers on your grain free cookies and get ready to enjoy them!!
Shared this recipe an your Facebook and Pinterest if you like or leave a comment with your feedback below! And if you are up for more healthy gluten free desserts, go check out my E book “Healthy Italian Desserts Made Simple” that features over 75 amazing recipes to get you covered from breakfast to that post dinner treat we all love!
Lots of love from Italy!
Beautiful! Can’t wait to make these. Love the new website also!
Thanks so much dear! Please let me know if you like them and share a photo with me!!
Love these Ambra! Thanks for sharing!!
Thanks beautiful! So lucky to have amazing, supportive friends like yourself!
Leave a Reply