When it comes to presenting dessert, there is nothing like a multi layered glass or jar. And this healthy apple yogurt parfait served in clear shot glasses makes for a wholesome version of the classic featuring unsweetened apple sauce, coconut yogurt and lots of other yummy ingredients!
It’s dairy and gluten free, paleo and suitable for those who are on the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP).
As you might have noticed from my Facebook and Instagram, I am slightly obsessed with coconut yogurt and with making my own carob nutella … so towering these two ingredients in a delicious yet healthy apple yogurt parfait, enriched with a hint of strudel, was a temptation I couldn’t resist.
When you have guests and need to whip up a quick dessert that can also induce a jaw dropping effect, serving your dessert beautifully layered in a clear glass is the way to go. You can get fancy with the presentation and chose eclectic jars or grappa shot glasses (just like the ones I used), or add colorful toppings, like berries or a sprinkle of superfood powders…
Since I love the combination of apple sauce and coconut yogurt, I decided to use these two flavors as the main base of my parfait. And to make plain apple sauce taste more exciting, I opted to brighten it up with a strudel kind of flavor, that I achieved simply by adding some raisins, maca powder and a touch of cinnamon.
While this parfaits take only a few minutes to make, they require to be refrigerated for quite some time. In fact, while sitting in the fridge, the coconut yogurt and nutella thicken, the coconut flake layer hardens and all the ingredients in the apple sauce layer settle down creating the perfect strudel sensation.
You will love this healthy apple yogurt parfait!! And I can’t wait to see your recreations of it!
Healthy Apple Yogurt Parfait (GF, DF, Paleo, AIP)
- For the Coconut Yogurt Layer:
- 4 tbsp Coconut Yogurt
For the Apple Sauce Layer:
- 4 tbsp Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 1 tsp Raisins
- *1 tsp Maca Powder (avoid if on the AIP)
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Raw Honey
For the Maple Coconut Flake Layer:
For the Nutella Layer:
For the Toppings
- 2 Strawberries
- 10 gr AIP Carob Chocolate, shaved
- 2 dried Figs
- Start by preparing the carob Nutella. Put the carob powder in a small bowl, add in the coconut milk little by little and mix well in order to prevent the formation of lumps.
- Prepare the Apple Sauce layer by mixing maca powder and apple sauce in a small bowl. Lastly add in the raisins.
- In a separate bowl, combine coconut flakes and maple syrup and mix well.
- Take 4 digestif glasses (similar to the ones you see in the photos) and start creating layers with one tbsp of carob nutella on the bottom, one tbsp of maple coconut flakes, one tbsp of seasoned apple sauce and one tbsp of coconut yogurt.
- Refrigerate your parfaits for at least 4 hours and, before serving, decorate them with thinly sliced dried figs, strawberries and shaved carob chocolate like you see in the photos.
What are the best layer combinations to create a stunning healthy parfait?
What are your favorite ways to style and decorate a parfait?
I would love to hear your ideas as I am always looking for inspiration and new ways to serve food!
Thanks for reading and I will catch you next time!!
PS: And if you are looking for more grain free and AIP compliant recipes, check out my “AIP Italian Cookbook” that features over 45 Auto Immune Paleo authentic Italian dishes and a fun AIP ingredient guide!!