Christmas morning is a special one. But when everybody is excited to see what Santa left in the stockings, it’s easy to get caught up in the frenzy of the moment and just nibble on candy canes all morning. Having a healthy Christmas Morning breakfast, that also looks appealing and extremely festive, is the key to avoid snacking on candies and make sure you don’t spend your Christmas morning with a headache.
This healthy breakfast idea for Christmas morning, is in fact very low in refined sugar, dairy and gluten free and it can also be made completely grain free and paleo too if you substitute the double chocolate muffin recipe for one of my paleo muffin recipe.
I know, the time to prepare a proper yet beautiful breakfast is a luxury on mornings like these, and cooking can get stressful, especially if you have guests staying over at your house. But if you follow the 5 steps listed below, you can make sure that preparing your healthy Christmas morning breakfast isn’t a nerve wrecking experience:
The 5 Steps to Prepare a Healthy Christmas Morning Breakfast with NO Stress:
- Have a plan. Know exactly what you are going to prepare (the Xmas Smoothie Jars shown in these photos are a perfect and easy option, as well as my Easy Gluten Free Christmas Cookies).
- Be prepared. If you bake ahead of time (the gluten free chocolate muffins in the following recipe hold well for at least a couple of days), all you have to do on Christmas morning is to blend up a thick chocolate smoothie and some final touches. And (here’s a little secret), if you are super short on time, you can always buy a clean brand of dairy and gluten free muffins you trust! 😉
- Get your family members to engage in a fun breakfast decorating contest! Have each one of them decorate their own Xmas smoothie jar with melted chocolate and fresh berries. It’s gonna be memorable for them and more relaxing for you!
- Make the ingredients easy to access. Weigh out the ingredients needed for the decorations, then melt the chocolate yourself and pour it into tiny bowls so that everybody can use their own without making a mess on the table.
- Leave this recipe open on your iPad or computer so that everybody can easily look at the pictures and come up with their own version of this healthy Christmas morning breakfast smoothies!
Gluten Free Chocolate Vanilla Muffins
For 10 Mini Gluten Free Chocolate Muffins:
- 1 Egg
- 50 gr Honey or Agave
- 40 gr Coconut Oil, melted
- 30 gr 90% Dark Chocolate
- 80 gr Organic Corn Starch
- 40 gr Rice Flour
- 10 gr Raw Cacao
- 50 gr Coconut Milk (or other plant-based milk of choice)
- 40 gr 100% Dark Chocolate Chips
- 8 gr (½ tsp) Baking Powder
For 4 Mini Smoothie Jars:
- 4 Frozen Ripe Bananas (cut in coins and left in the freezer for at least 2 hours)
- 4 tbsp Raw Cacao
- 6 tbsp Coconut Milk (or other plant-based milk of choice)
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 10 gr 90% Dark Chocolate
- 20 fresh Raspberries
- Start by preparing the mini Chocolate Muffins by turning on the oven at 350 °F.
- Beat the egg with honey.
- Melt the dark chocolate and mix it with the melted coconut oil.
- Combine the two mixtures in a bowl, add in rice flour, cornstarch, cacao, chocolate chips and coconut milk, mixing well.
- Lastly, add in the baking powder, incorporating it slowly into the mixture with a spatula.
- Fill 10 mini muffin molds with the batter until 2/3 full.
- Bake for about 15 minutes and allow to cool down completely.
- In the meantime, prepare the Christmas smoothie jars by placing the frozen bananas in a high-speed blender or food processor along with the other ingredients. Blend at 10-15 second intervals until velvety and creamy. Store in the freezer while you decorate the smoothie jars.
- Wash the raspberries, cut 6 in half and “stick” them on the internal side of two 180 ml glass jars.
- Melt the dark chocolate and pour it on the edge of the jars and on top of the muffins, finishing them with a few chocolate chips and a whole raspberry.
- Holding the jars tilted so the raspberries don’t move, pour the smoothie into them, and place one of the decorated muffins on top.
- Add a couple of paper straws and your healthy Christmas morning breakfast is ready to enjoy!
I hope you’ll enjoy making this healthy Christmas morning breakfast with your family this year and, so that you don’t forget, make sure to save it on your Pinterest and to share it on your Facebook page! And don’t forget to subscribe to my weekly newsletter so that you never miss a post!!
Lots of love!