Here’s why I came up with my own recipe for a healthy dark chocolate granola. There is a brand of granola I used to buy online that was absolutely addicting… I loved it. But even if it had very clean ingredients, it was still too sweet and I kept complaining thinking how much better of a product it would have been if only it had less sugar. One day, I finally got tired of “wishing” it was better and I took action making my own version of it! 😉
This granola is, of course, dairy and gluten free, vegan and rich in nutrients from the many types of seeds it’s filled with. Seeds contain high levels of essential fatty acids, the amino acids needed to form complete and digestible protein, vitamins A, B, C and E and minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron, selenium and manganese.
The recipe also called for gluten free oats, rich fiber, thiamin, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, selenium, and iron.
And if you are wondering if gluten free oatmeal si actually gluten free, please take a look at this recipe for my favorite porridge, where I address this question in the middle of the article.
All you need to know about this Healthy Chocolate Granola:
If you store this healthy dark chocolate granola in an airtight container or in a glass jar, it can retain its crunchiness for about 10 days. But trust me, it’ll never last that long. It’s way too delicious! 😉
If you need to stay away from seeds, you can easily replace them by using more gluten free oats and coconut flakes and adding in crushed nuts of choice, as well as pieces of freeze dried fruit.
If you want to make a grain free version of this healthy dark chocolate granola, please follow the basic recipe for my paleo granola and replace the tropical fruits with dark chocolate and cacao.
As you can see from the photos, I love to enjoy my dark chocolate granola on top of some unsweetened coconut yogurt and berries. But I also love it as a topping for a smoothie bowl.
Speaking of which… did you check out my GUIDE to make smoothies that keep you full? I am sure you’ll love it. It answers to 10 FAQs and it gives you lots of ideas to make delicious smoothie bowls.
Now it’s time to get a big mixing bowl and take out all the ingredients you need for this healthy dark chocolate granola. The procedure is super easy and it comes out perfect every time
Healthy Dark Chocolate Granola (Gluten & Dairy Free)
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 3/4 cup Gluten Free Oats
- 1/2 cup Sunflower Seed
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/4 cup Hazelnuts
- 10 Dehydrated Apple Rings
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- 1/4 cup Sesame Seeds
- 1/4 cup Chia Seeds
- 2 tbsp Cacao Powder
- 1 tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ginger Powder
- 1 tsp Anise powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 2 squares 95% Dark Chocolate shaved
- 3 tbsp Coconut Oil melted
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the ove to 150 C or 300 F.
- On a large cutting board, combine coconut flakes, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, apple rings. raisins and hazelnuts and chop them in smaller pieces with a big knife.
- Combine these in a large mixing bowl together with the other dry ingredients and mix well.
- Melt the coconut oil and pour it over the granola mixture together with the honey and vanilla extract.
- Transfer your dark chocolate granola onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 25 minutes.
- Let the granola cool out completely to crisp up and store in an air tight container or a glass jar.
- Enjoy your dark chocolate granola over some yogurt with berries or as a topping for a smoothie bowl.
I am excited to see your recreations of my healthy Dark Chocolate Granola! Make sure to take a photo and tag me when you share it on Instagram!! Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends on Facebook, save it on your favorite Pinterest board and subscribe to my weekly newsletter so that you never miss a post!!
Lots of love and ciao!
Leave a Reply