As a kid, I used to be a sucker for candy bars, with Mars and Snickers being at the top of my junk food wish list. Hence, I thought to create a recipe for healthy paleo Mars bars to honor that old-time passion 🙂
But how do you even start putting together a homemade healthy Mars bar without getting your hands all sticky with caramel and nougat filling? After a first attempt, that left something to be desired in terms of shape, I realized that I needed a solid base first.
The flavor was already pretty good, but it needed a more “marsy” kick, as well as a crust that could support all the layers of my paleo mars bars without melting during the photoshoot. So, I doubled up the dry ingredients of the nougat filling to keep it firmer, and I decided to use my favorite NuGo Egg White Protein Bars as the foundation of my healthy Mars bar.
The result came out perfect!! Since I didn’t use sugars of any sorts in the filling, the NuGo bar I used gave it just the right sweetness, as their Maple Pecan flavor is mostly made with dates and other very minimal ingredients: egg whites, cashews, pecans, almonds, sea salt, and natural maple flavor.
I also like the that this line of NuGo bars, besides being paleo, dairy & gluten free (check out my guide on GLUTEN here), is packed with proteins (13 grams) as each bar contains three egg whites (and no cholesterol)!
If you want to try them, enter my Discount Code: BEAUTY15 for 15% OFF!
I usually enjoy NuGo bars as they are, sneaking one inside my purse when I am away from home… But this time, using it in the recipe for my healthy paleo Mars bars, definitely made it a lot more decadent and a great treat for when you feel that junk food craving coming!!
Healthy Paleo Mars Bars (Gluten & Dairy Free)
For the Base:
For the Nougat Layer:
For the Caramel Layer (you’ll use half the amount you prepare):
- 8 Medjool Dates (soaked in boiling water for 10 mins then drained)
- 8 tbsp full fat Coconut Milk
- 4 tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
- (add up to 3 tbsp of hot water if the blender gets stuck)
For the Chocolate Coating:
- Place the two Egg White Protein NuGo bars in between two sheets of parchment paper and flatten them down with a rolling pin until they are half of their original thickness.
- Cut the flattened bars in half, both lengthwise and widthwise, in order to divide each bar in four rectangular pieces.
- To prepare the nougat layer, place all ingredients in a small bowl, mix well and refrigerate.
- To prepare the caramel for your healthy paleo mars bar, blend all ingredients, except for the coconut oil, in a high speed blender until smooth and creamy. Transfer the caramel in a bowl, add in the melted coconut oil and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- Spread a layer of nougat over a flattened piece of NuGo bar, cover it with caramel (you’ll only use half of the caramel you prepared) and repeat until all 8 homemade Mars bars are assembled.
- Place your bars in the freezer to settle while you melt the chocolate for the coating.
- Pour melted chocolate over your healthy paleo Mars bars, sprinkle with sea salt and some cacao nibs and store in the refrigerator.
If you enjoyed making my healthy paleo Mars bars, make sure to share them with your friends and family on Facebook and to save it on your favorite Pinterest board, and subscribe to my weekly newsletter so that you never miss a post!!
Lots of love!