Some of my clients that are following a grain free diet often complain about their frustration in finding paleo dessert recipes that are actually good. Today’s Paleo Coconut Macaroon Kisses are the solution for those cravings!
I totally get it, when you are in the mood for a treat, you want something delicious that can blow you away. And I know that most of the times, when you look for paleo desserts at the grocery store, you can only find treats that are mostly made with almond meal and therefore they are not suitable for those intolerant to nuts.
In addition, this recipe is also suitable for those who are on the Reintroduction phase of the Autoimmune Protocol and are ok with eggs and chocolate (some of the first AIP reintros).
Finding the perfect dessert that can suit everybody’s allergies can be quite tough. As always, making your own grain free treat is the key to success.
In this Paleo Coconut Macaroon recipe you’ll find all the most delicious, grain and dairy free ingredients, that marry each other in an explosion of flavor!
You want a quick, fun fact to prove you how delicious these Paleo Coconut Macaroon Kisses are?! Get this: the day I baked them I was at home in Cremona, Italy and I used my brother and husband as taste testers.
… After they ate a few, their biggest complain was: “Why didn’t you make more of them?! Do you think it’s fair to tease us and only let us have a couple of pastries each?”
Man, they were upset! …But I can’t say I wasn’t flattered!!
What Makes these Paleo Coconut Macaroon Kisses Special? Coconut Flour & a Touch of Italy!
I think what makes these grain free macaroons so special is the combination of the typical coconut treat with the Italian tradition of “Baci” (that in Italian means “kisses”). These sandwiched cookies (that are basically kissing each other) are kept together by a delicious prune & chocolate filling that’s the the perfect contrast to the sweetness of the vanilla e coconut flavor of the spongy macaroons.
In addition, when creating this paleo version of macaroons, I used some of my favorite ingredients, like coconut flour and coconut oil. (Learn everything about coconut products here). I find that the amazing sweetness that they have naturally is they key to keep this recipe very low in sugar, but highly delectable nonetheless!
Whether you are on a grain free, paleo diet or not, these Paleo Coconut Macaroon Kisses make for a deliciously healthy dessert you can impress your friends and family with!
NOTE: This recipe makes 12 macaroons, but if you want to play safe and not hear anybody complaining (just like I did)… double the quantities! I am sure they won’t go to waste!
Paleo Coconut Macaroon Kisses (Grain, Gluten & Dairy FREE)
- 30 gr Coconut Sugar
- *2 free range Egg Yolks (about 30 gr) (*AIP Reintro)
- 30 gr Sweet Potato Starch
- 1 tsp Ginger Juice
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 20 g of Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
- 25 g melted Coconut Oil
- *2 free range Egg Whites (*AIP Reintro)
- 1/2 tsp of Baking Soda
- 40 gr Coconut Flour
- 1 tbsp of shredded Coconut Flakes
For the Prune & Chocolate Filling:
- 30 gr pitted Dried Prunes
- 20 gr 100% Dark Chocolate (*AIP Reintro)
- 1 tbsp Coconut Milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Beat yolks and coconut sugar until foamy.
- Add in the sweet potato starch and keep on mixing well until creamy.
- Keeping on mixing, add in the vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar, orange juice and a pinch of stevia, baking soda and sodium bicarbonate.
- Add in the whites, mix well and lastly add in the coconut flour.
- When the batter is smooth and rather solid, transfer it into a pastry bag.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and squeeze out dollops of batter on the pan, swirling the pastry bag around so you can give it a circular shape.
- Sprinkle your macaroons with shredded coconut and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- When the paleo coconut macaroon kisses are ready, take them out of the oven, place them on a griddle and let them cool down while you prepare the Prune Chocolate Filling.
- Blend the dried prunes together with the coconut milk until creamy.
- Melt the dark chocolate over very low heat. When melted, add in the blended prunes and mix well until smooth.
- Scoop a teaspoon of Prune & Chocolate Filling on the bottom of one of the paleo Macaroons and sandwich another one on top. Continue until finished and enjoy your amazing grain free dessert!
I hope you enjoyed this treat as much as I (and my team) did, and for more recipes, guides and tutorials about grain free, paleo cooking, make sure to check out my AIP Italian Cookbook, that features over 50 amazing Italian dishes that are paleo and Autoimmune Protocol compliant.
Let me have your feedback by leaving a comment below!
I send you a big kiss and I will catch you next time,
developed a dairy allergy a few ears ago, and being of Italian heritage there’s SOO much I miss! I started following on Instagram, seeing these cookies took me back to childhood making baci di dama with my godmother <3..
Sabrina, thanks so much for sharing your beautiful memory!! Food is such a great way to connect with people! Hope you try these cookies! They are amazing!!
Leave a Reply