As you can imagine, Easter treats are huge in Italy! And because I wanted to stick to this delicious Italian tradition, I created a fun recipe for Paleo Easter Egg Cookies together with a quick video that shows you how to make them. Not only are these healthy Easter treats free from grains, dairy, nuts and refined sugar, they are also suitable for those who are on the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) and have already reintroduced egg yolk successfully.
You should really be in Italy at this time of the year: Chocolate Easter eggs are ubiquitous, chocolate shaped rabbits and hens are in every store, and all of the bakeries and pastry shops fill their windows with amazing sweet and savory treats, from Colomba to Torta Pasqualina (a delicious spinach quiche).
There’s really something for everybody: while Italian kids start collecting dozens of chocolate Easter eggs 2 weeks before Easter, lining them all down on top of the kitchen cabinets, adults go crazy over “Colomba”, a soft, spongy cake shaped like a dove, and scattered with candied orange peel and caramelized almonds.
And, another typical Easter treat we make in Italy is Tiramisù (and if you can tolerate gluten free grains, I created a dairy free version for it here).
All of these treats are of course delicious (and in the past, I admit, I had my fair share of them), but from a health standpoint they are not that recommendable ?
For this reason, together with my mom, I created a great recipe to make Paleo Easter Egg Cookies and in this short video I show you guys how to make them.
They of course have no gluten nor grains and they are dairy and sugar free as well. And the presentation… well, that speaks for itself!
Paleo Easter Egg Cookies (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, AIP Reintro)
- 2 tbps Sugar Free Peach Jam (I used homemade peach jam)
- *1 tbsp Sugar Decorations (optional)
PS: If you want to use these sugar decorations because you want your cookies to have a festive look, make sure to remove them before you eat the cookies. While they’re definitely pretty, they are not healthy for sure 😉
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Combine al the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Add in all the wet ingredients and knead well.
- Roll down the dough on a wooden surface with a rolling pin until 1/4 of an inch thick.
- With an egg shaped cookie cutter cut out your Paleo Easter Egg Cookies.
- Decorate the cookies by spreading a think layer of jam over their surface and place some sugar decorations on top.
- Bake the cookies for about 25 minutes (depending on your oven) and let them cool down completely before serving.
- Enjoy your Paleo Easter Egg Cookies and have a wonderful Easter!!
I hope you guys enjoyed these paleo Easter Egg Cookies and I can’t wait to see your own version of this recipe!
And if you can’t make it in time to bake these cookies for Easter, simply give them a different shape and enjoy these healthy cookies whenever you want! Just make sure to pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest boards so that you can always remember where the recipe is!! Ambra