The way I like to prepare for Halloween does not involve choosing costumes and make up… but rather deciding what to bake!! And this Paleo Halloween Cake was definitely one of the best decisions I have ever made!!
I have always loved anything with pumpkin and one of my favorite cakes growing up was “Torta di Zucca” a pumpkin cake my mom used to make with (obviously) pumpkin and amaretti. This paleo Halloween pumpkin cake is free from gluten, grains and dairy and the frosting is to die for!!
If you make this during a different time of the year, give your chocolate decorations a different shape and you are good to go.
NOTE: rather than using canned pumpkin puree, I cut and baked a Kabocha squash (my favorite type) in the oven for about 30 or 40 minutes. The pulp is a lot more flavorful and firm and will give your paleo Halloween cake the perfect consistency!
Paleo Halloween Cake (Gluten & Dairy Free)
- a digital scale (much more precise for baking than measuring cups)
For the Cake:
For the Frosting:
For the Spiderwebs:
- 2 oz 90% Dark Chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a food processor, lend the pumpkin flesh with coconut milk until creamy. Add in the eggs and blend again.
- Add in the flour and spices, pulse, and lastly add in the apple cider vinegar and baking powder.
- Pour the batter in a circular cake pan (mine had a 18 cm diameter) and bake for 30 minutes. Turn off the oven, open the oven door only a tiny bit and leave the cake in for 10 more minutes.
- While you allow your paleo Halloween cake to cool completely, prepare the spider webs by placing a piece of parchment over a plate and melting the chocolate.
- Transfer the melted chocolate in a pastry bag (or a ziplock bag with a little cut in a corner) and draw a few chocolate spider webs on the parchment paper. Store in the refrigerator to harden.
- Prepare the frosting by blending fridge cold pumpkin flesh in a high speed blender or food processor with all the other ingredients until creamy.
- When the cake is cold, cover it with frosting helping yourself with a silicon spatula and place the chocolate spider webs on top.
You are gonna love this paleo Halloween cake! Make sure to share it with your friends and family on Facebook so they can try it too, and to save it on your favorite Pinterest board, and subscribe to my weekly newsletter so that you never miss a post!!
Lots of love and Happy Halloween!!